Me

Me
Blogger pic

Monday, October 14, 2013

Focusing the lasers

When it comes to what category I fall into as far as a student I would say traveler. I really do not know what I want to do. I am taking general educations classes until I get a better understanding of what I want to focus on as far as my pathway. I need to find something that I am passionate about and that I can make a living it. I met with a counselor about the classes that I should be taking. I originally thought I wanted to do something in the computer field, but after learning about all the math that I would need I decided that it would probably not be a good fit for me. I am not as proficient in math as I would like and do not enjoy it. Right now I am thinking about focusing on business. I am not sure if that will be the path that I will eventually follow. I also feel like I am also a seeker. I look for classes that will meet graduation requirements, but also want to take something that I have an interest in. It's real hard to keep your focus and stay motivated if you're not interested in the subject matter. I'm ok with categorizing myself a traveler and a seeker. The reason I am ok with that is I am working on getting to a place where I ultimately would like to transition into a laser. I decided four semesters ago that I needed to go back to school after twenty years. I hope the further I get in my educational pursuit that it will become clearer to me of what I would like to do. Each students story is different from one another. That's why there are so many categories one could define themselves as. Me being 39 I feel like it's now or never for me. I have never enjoyed school, but realize that in order to better my life it is something that I need to do. I think the educational institution and the student have to take some responsibility in the part they have played in where the student is in their lives. I think the majority of the responsibility lies with the student, it ultimately is their lives and future at stake. I do however think that school as an institution can do a better job of reaching students by finding out more about the individual and finding out about how they best learn and where their interests lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment